© 2000-2015 GermanWineEstates.com Inc.

All Rights Reserved

Schloss Schönborn

Wine Estate Facts

Region: Rheingau

Owner: Paul Graf von Schönborn

Estate Size: 50 hectares/125 acres

Production; 25,500 cases

Grapes: 91% Riesling, 9% Spätburgunder, Weissburgunder

Vineyards: Owns parcels in the best vineyards of the Erbach, Hattenheim, Hochheim, Johannisberg, Rauenthal & Rüdesheim.

Website: http://www.schoenborn.de/Schloss-Schoenborn-wine-estate.100.0.html?&L=1


The wine-growing tradition of the Counts of Schönborn traces its origin back to 1349 in the Rheingau wine district. However, family documents provide evidence of vineyard ownership in the village of Winkel dating back to the 13th century. Today the wine estate manages 50 hectares of vineyards in the Rheingau, including 2.7 hectares in the first class vineyard, Erbacher Marcobrunn. A large portion of the production, especially the sweet dessert wines, is exported to Asia and North America.

As a founding member of the VDP, the federation of German predicate wines, it is the wine estate’s philosophy to create contemporary fruity wines by utilizing the highest of standards in wine-growing, including natural cultivation, from each of Schloss Schönborn’s individual vineyard sites.

The Riesling grape loves the Rheingau! Here, it finds the ideal ground and the best climate. At Schloss Schönborn, 91% of estate vineyards are planted with Riesling and the remaining 9% divided between Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir) and Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc) varietals. Wine experts at home and abroad praise the wines of Schloss Schönborn, having won many national and international awards which reflect the long-standing efforts to strive for quality.